verbena-19

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What My Brother Is Fighting for

Emily Miller, a member of Military Families Speak Out, an organization of more than 3,100 military families opposed to the Iraq war, wrote this poignant piece which was published today by the Long Island NY Newsday. I found it on CommonDreams.org. where you can read the entire article. Emily's brother is a soldier in Iraq because "he believes his duty is to defend our Constitution and our democratic ideals".

Here is what my brother, a member of the Army National Guard, told me as he prepared to serve in Iraq this year:

The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is who controls the armed forces. Civilian command of the Army is a cornerstone of our democratic system.

My brother told me that he takes his oath to defend the Constitution seriously and that he will fight and die if necessary to honor his commitment. Asked if he would be offended if I participated in activities opposing the war, he said it was not only my right but my obligation and the obligation of all civilians opposing this war to try to change bad policy. "Give us good wars to fight," he said.


Emily Miller is concerned about her brother's life and about all the troops fighting in a war that is unwinnable. This was also the conclusion of the the Iraq Study Group. She asks her fellow Americans if they will take responsibilty for her brother staying in Iraq. In her conclusion, Emily implores the American people:

My family begs of you: Do not ask this of him. Do not ask this of us. My brother is doing his constitutional duty. Now it is time for us to do ours.

Read her short article here.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

Bloggers of Ontario Unite!

[ Prev 5 | Prev | Next | Next 5 | Random | List | Join ]