verbena-19

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tomgram: A Young Man's Death in Iraq, by Tom Engelhardt

Tomgram: A Young Man's Death in Iraq
I'm too old for the typical website with lots of posted back-and-forth commentary. So the Tomdispatch e-mail box is -- and often I regret this -- normally my own private adventure. I'm regularly amazed by the letters that come in, many encouraging, some stunningly thoughtful (often with striking turns of phrase), and every now and then ones that are startlingly abusive. E-notes and e-letters arrive from all over the world -- this is surely the glory of the Internet -- and all over this country; often from small towns or out of the way spots that I would never have a chance to visit on my own; often representing points of view that I might never run across face to face. They always remind me of how much real human beings cross the boundaries and categories we would prefer them to be enclosed in. I'm regularly slightly awed and often moved. It's an experience, and I do my best, however briefly and inadequately, to answer most of them. (To those of you I haven't answere! d, my apologies because your messages are greatly appreciated and the intent is there.)

Sometimes though, a letter arrives that I feel the urge to share with Tomdispatch readers. That happened recently. I had posted an article by Nick Turse about on-line military recruitment techniques (basically Pentagon cyberstalking of teens) and Chris Christensen, an airline pilot and veteran of the Vietnam War living in a small town in Texas, wrote in to thank Nick for his "very thorough piece on military recruiting practices and problems" as well as to discuss the death in Iraq of the son of a friend. I asked him if I might post his letter and he was quite willing. Letters like his matter -- another that I posted was from Teri Allison, also from Texas (The Costs of War), whose son, unlike the boy Christensen knew well, did make it back.

In his letter, Christensen speaks of how video games influenced his friend's son and I was reminded of this passage from the letter Sgt Kevin Benderman, recently jailed for 15 months by the military, wrote to explain why he was refusing a second deployment to Iraq:


"I was in charge of a group of soldiers that were in their late teens through their early twenties and I had to constantly tell them to keep their heads down because they thought that the war was like the video games that they played back at the barracks. War is not like that at all and until you have the misfortune to engage in it for yourself you cannot begin to understand how insane it all is. There are no restart buttons on reality and that is why I cannot figure out why now we are pursuing such a policy in this day and age. War should be relegated to the shelves of history, as was human sacrifice."

But I was also reminded of the degree to which journalism -- especially the TV talking-heads variety -- sometimes has the sterile feel of a video game in which points ping back and forth without anything of great human import ever seeming to be at stake. On the other hand, letters like Christensen's are sobering. They remind me how much is indeed at stake. I think they keep me honest. They remind me as well -- not that I should need it, being in a New York/Texas marriage -- that all the comfortably split red-state/blue-state descriptions of this country can't begin to capture its complexity, the complexity of red-state/blue-state families and red-state/blue-state selves.

The Iraq war is daily more horrific, for Iraqis and Americans. And that is finally being felt here. Something is slowly changing in this country. Another reader sent me a small piece from his local weekly, the Mount Desert Islander, describing a Fourth of July parade in Bar Harbor, Maine. I hung onto it doggedly, not quite knowing why. Now I do. Here's part of the description:


"It ran through the crowd, a spontaneous, rolling wave of solidarity more than two miles long. In total it lasted for more than an hour. While Fourth of July parade entries with a decidedly political bent are nothing new in Bar Harbor, the reaction Monday to a group protesting the loss of life in Iraq was different. In the past, peace activists usually were greeted with stony silence. As they marched Monday, carrying banners adorned with scores of small American flags and the names of more than 1,400 Americans who have died in combat, several dozen protesters were instead greeted by a wave of applause from crowds of spectators on both sides of the street. It followed the group for most of the route… Politicians in Washington D.C. don't need expensive opinion polls to see how deep the erosion of public support for the war in Iraq has gone. All they needed to do Monday was to watch events unfold on the streets of a small town in Maine on the Fourth of July."

Click here to read more of this dispatch.

**To read reviews, info, or where to buy Tom Engelhardt's excellent new book, "The Last Days of Publishing", please click here [“A satisfyingly virulent, comical, absurd, deeply grieving true portrait of how things work today in the sleek factories of conglomerate book producers... a skillful novel of manners -- of very bad manners”
—Herb Gold, LA Times]

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

Bloggers of Ontario Unite!

[ Prev 5 | Prev | Next | Next 5 | Random | List | Join ]